Thursday, July 5, 2012

Damon

This is a very random post, but I just wanted to share a few pictures of Damon. He is a busy guy. When he is not working he is always working on a project at home, at the new house, or at a friend's house. He is my manly man. He can fix anything and works very hard. I love that he loves to be outdoors, because I HATE yard work!

Here he is, doing some work at our new house:
 

Here he is, burning trash at the new house. He takes such pride in his things. He goes out there on his off days and cleans the yard.



One day in June, the air in my car quit working! During an Alabama summer, that problem is tolerable for all of about 10 seconds! I thought it might be something simple, but I was incorrect. Damon took a look at my vehicle and new immediately what was wrong. He went to the parts store, bought the parts he needed and fixed it the next day (after working a 12 hour shift at the hospital). I don't know where I'd be without my personal mechanic! He is so smart!

Here he is, fixing my broken AC:
 


Damon's Ring:

Damon's ring has a whole story. We have been married now for 5 years. I absolutely love Damon's wedding band. We got a band that looks very unique. Over the past few years, Damon's ring has started to get more and more loose on his finger (I wish I could say I had that problem!). Finally, it got to the point that it was really too loose to wear. One evening this Spring, when Damon was burning a brush pile in the yard, he lost his ring. When he went to toss some limbs on the pile, his ring came off his finger and went into the fire! You would not believe the time we had, in the dark, with flashlights, trying to find his ring. Surprisingly, we finally did! The fire had burned the metal though. The etching that was in his ring was basically indiscernable after that. We discovered a few days later that the heat had also caused his ring to crack. It wasn't broken in half, but it was cracked. At that point, his ring found a home on the shelf. It was too big to wear and was too damaged as well.

Well, a month or so ago, I decided to send his ring off to see if I could have it replaced. The company who created the ring has a lifetime resizing policy. Because of the type of ring we picked, with the pattern in the metal, I knew it could not be resized without being replaced (it would alter the pattern). I was hoping if I sent it off, to be resized, that I might get a brand new ring. If they had to replace it to resize it, then I would have to be given a new ring- one that fit and was not burned or cracked. I felt it was a long shot. I was waiting for that phone call from the company wondering what in the world we had done to the ring- BUT about 5 weeks later I got the ring back. Brand new! I was sooooo excited! It looks fabulous and fits his finger perfectly! I think he was genuinely surprised when I gave it to him. Being the ever-observant man that he is, he hadn't even realized his ring had been missing!

Some people have made comments about it being bad luck to replace the ring with a new one, but I don't believe in that. I think a marriage is what you make of it. If a ring is what keeps you together- that is just odd! Besides, I would rather him have a new ring that he can wear, than have a ring that sits on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment