Thursday, August 30, 2012

Moved In!

Talk about a poor blogger. That would be me! I have really fallen behind on my posts. Better catch up before Calum gets here!
Where to begin…?
Damon and I are now moved into our new home! We closed on the house July 27th and moved in the next day. Damon, his brother, his mom, my mom, and even our nephew, Tanner, helped move. I was pretty much useless, but I did my best! Damon worked hard all day and then got up and went to work the next. He doesn’t know how to do anything half way.
For the first couple days it felt like I was in a vacation home- like we had rented this house for a week or something, just to get away. People laugh when I say that, but going from 1,000 sq. ft. to almost 2,400 sq. ft. is a huge difference. Not to mention we had 7 foot ceilings in our first home and this one has vaulted ceilings in two rooms and anywhere from 9-11ft. ceilings everywhere else, with an open floorplan. When you combine all that it makes our home feel all the larger.
We also have a fabulous master bathroom that makes getting ready a tad more enjoyable- although in the early morning hours, getting ready is never a fun venture. But seriously, that bathroom is a huge adjustment. We had a pedestal sink for the past five years, and a bathroom just big enough for one person. Now, we have more cabinet space than I can currently fill (I’m sure that won’t last) and a fabulous ceramic tiled shower and whirlpool tub.
Other fabulous perks of this new home are our large kitchen pantry, our large laundry room, and our dishwasher. I love having all my food in one spot, instead of in cabinets with our dishes. The laundry room is unreal! You may think I am crazy, but when you have had your laundry room on your back porch for years- hot or cold outside- you really appreciate an indoor space for washing clothes. Also, although washing dishes by hand isn’t the worst, or completely unheard of, I really do love my new dishwasher.
We really are beyond blessed in our new home!
We spent the first couple of weeks working on getting settled in. We would work until around 7 and then sit down and watch the Olympics. I loved the Olympics! I had never really watched them in the past (at least not diligently), but this time it was our nightly ritual to sit down together and watch the prime time airings. I miss it now that it is over. There is nothing worthwhile on TV! There never really is.
So, we made it into our new home before our family expanded. God always has a plan for his timing. His timing is always perfect- never late, never early. Thank goodness I don’t actually know what is best for me or get things I want when I want them. His plan is always better.
We look forward to seeing friends and family when Calum gets here- whether at the hospital or at home. But- I will tell you now- our home is very empty. It is going to take a long time to furnish this house. So, if you don’t like the less-is-more approach to décor, don’t even bother coming over. J

No comments:

Post a Comment