I have had four baby appointments since I last blogged. I am so glad I am updating before Calum gets here!
On July 31st, I had a typical baby check-up. My blood pressure was good, like usual (don’t get me wrong- I know how blessed I am to have had good blood pressure throughout this pregnancy). His heart rate was 168bpm- high as always! He was measuring big but, in true Dr. Bolton form, she didn’t share any specific numbers with me. I had gained quite a few pounds in those two weeks- mainly fluid. This is around the time I first really started swelling- especially in my feet. We had been moving in those past days, so my feet weren’t their happiest. I had another two week wait before my weekly appointments would begin.
On August 13th I had a surprising appointment- but in a good way. I went in. My blood pressure looked great and I had gained only two pounds! Yea! Finally it seemed I got it right! Only two pounds in two weeks! Believe me- if you had to listen to my doctor’s lectures about weight gain you would have been ecstatic about this too! That wasn’t even the surprising part though.
Calum’s heart rate was 134bpm. This was a shocker! That is the lowest heart rate I have ever had for him. I thought this meant his heart rate was slowing down, as most babies’ do near the end of pregnancy. Nah! Just a fluke. This wasn’t the surprising part either!
Dr. Bolton, came in, measured my tummy and then told me I was going to get an ultrasound! This was the surprising part. I hadn’t seen my baby boy in four months. I was very excited- but felt horrible that Damon wasn’t there with me.
Calum had been measuring two weeks ahead. So, at that point- 36 weeks- he was measuring 38 weeks. My doctor was concerned and wanted to know why he was measuring so large. She wanted to do the ultrasound to check on fluid levels and to measure him more accurately. After measuring his head, abdomen, and legs multiple times each, she came to the same conclusion as the measuring tape- he was measuring consistently at 38 weeks. She said he looked great and healthy- just a big healthy.
He was moving his mouth during the ultrasound and sticking his tongue out. Cutie-pie! I also saw him practicing his breathing- with his tummy going in and out with each “breath”.
After the ultrasound she mentioned that she was not likely to let me go to 40 weeks and that she might even induce me. This got me very excited as I was ready to meet my little man after seeing him on the ultrasound. Although she didn’t point it out herself, I was nosey and saw that the ultrasound predicted my due date to be August 29th. Well, I guess that didn’t happen!
My next appointment, on the 20th was the first time she checked me for progress. No progress, and he had slowed down his growing. He didn’t gain a week in a week’s time. His heart rate was back up to 153bpm too. She didn’t mention anything more about inducing.
This week I went back on Tuesday (8/28). I had made minimal progress (but something at least)- nothing much to speak of- and he still hadn’t grown his usual amount. So, no induction after all. I may even go the full 40 weeks, but hopefully not past that! Calum’s heart rate was 152bpm- my little wiggle worm! My blood pressure was good too. I have gained every week- I’ll spare you all the numbers… for my own sake.
My next scheduled appointment is Tuesday, September 4th.
How I have been feeling:
It has been so long since I have updated that I guess I need to update all my pregnancy symptoms. I guess the biggest complaint I have had- which makes my entire pregnancy amount to a very blessed, easy one- is my feet! My feet got really swollen for the first time during the days we moved and got settled into our new house. After that they didn’t really swell for a couple weeks. Then, around 36 weeks they really started swelling on a daily basis. They swell daily now (horrible swelling) and I have been wearing compression stockings when I can to help. My ankles feel bruised and my feet are just plain unhappy. But- like I said- if that is the biggest complaint I have had, then I have had a breezy pregnancy.
Luckily, my blood pressure has remained at fabulous levels. My weight gain could be less, but I feel like it is pretty much all tummy, so that isn’t so bad. I am ready to have my body back though. I literally feel like I am occupying someone else’s body because it is now so difficult to maneuver. When people say you feel uncomfortable at the end of pregnancy, they are right. I do have aches and pains, but overall I just don’t feel like me anymore.
I have battled a head cold this past week. It is still hanging on for dear life. I am stubborn and won’t take anything for it, so I have just been waiting it out. It is waiting me out too! I just hope it clears up before hospital time. I would like to be able to breathe properly during that time and I don’t really feel like sharing my cold with my little guy.
So, I guess my next baby update will either be baby pictures and a story, or it will be an update from my next baby appointment. Hmmm…. I wonder which it will be!
No comments:
Post a Comment