Friday, January 6, 2012

First Prenatal Appointment

This past Wednesday (01/04) was my first prenatal appointment! When I found out I was pregnant I began thinking about what doctor I wanted to use. I didn't overly love the doctor I had been seeing and desired a change. I was spoiled by the nurse practitioner I saw when I was in college. She was very personable, always remembered what was going on in my life, and would ask me all about it. She would sit and talk to me forever, never seeming pressed for time. She was so easy to talk to that I wondered if she was a therapist as well. Since completing my undergrad, it has been hard for me to find a doctor that even comes close to comparing to what I was used to having. Needless to say, my standards are a bit high. So, when the test was positive I started thinking about who I would try to see during this pregnancy.

I ended up making three appointments. I was so excited! I wanted to make the appointments ASAP and decide later which one I would keep and which I would cancel. After talking with many people, I decided to keep my appointment with Dr. Jennifer Bolton. So far, I think that was a great choice!

The day of my appointment I was 4 weeks, 3 days, so it was just a bloodwork appointment, I didn't even see Dr. Bolton. When I walked in, the receptionist, Cathy, said, "You must be Laura." Great first impression! As she collected the forms for me to fill out, she asked, "Is this your first baby?" That simple question struck a huge chord with me and I was grinning from ear to ear. To say I am thrilled about this pregnancy is an understatement.

Dr. Bolton's nurse practitioner, Tammy, called me back. She was so excited when she opened the door that one might think she was the one having a baby. I loved this practice instantly. Although Dr. Bolton is part of the Northport DCH practice, her office is not at the Women's Pavilion. Dr. Bolton's office is staffed by only three people: Dr. Bolton, Tammy (nurse practitioner), and Cathy (receptionist). The small staff makes it a very intimate practice. I was getting hugs when I left that morning.

The appointment went well. I enjoyed the conversation with Tammy. She is very sweet and gave me the personable appointment I was looking for. She called me the next morning and told me my HCG levels looked "really good", which was news I was ready to hear. My next appointment will be February 7th- a lifetime away! I will be 9 weeks and 2 days by then. Damon will go with me for that appointment, when I will get my first ultrasound!!!! I am counting down the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment