Saturday, June 9, 2012

Kool-Aid... and a whole bunch of other stuff

Hi, All!

I haven't posted since May 15th- almost a month ago. I am pretty ashamed. I blame my internet though! It is terribly slow and uploading pictures can take F-O-R-E-V-E-R, so I guess I just haven't felt like updating. Sorry.

I guess for this spur-of-the-moment post I will just give you a whole bunch of random stuff and then I promise I will try to upload some pictures in the next day or so. Please don't hold your breath- you may pass out while waiting. :-)

It is 11:45 on this Saturday night. I went to bed- well fell asleep, on top of the covers, with all the bedroom lights on- at 8:00 this evening. Damon was watching TV in the living room. When he came to bed at 11:00, I woke up and was suddenly wide awake and in dire need of... Kool-Aid! This has apparently become my new craving. So, as he quietly crawled into bed, I went to the kitchen, found a gallon jug of water (no 20oz. bottle for me) and began funnelling and shaking my way to some Kool-Aid goodness. I did not follow the directions on the Kool-Aid package. It said fill to the 2 quart line for a gallon. Well, 2 quarts is not a gallon, so I proceeded to fill it to the 2 quarts line- twice. No one wants to drink watered-down Kool-Aid!!! I don't know, but my version tastes pretty darn good to me!

So, here I am, on my computer, sitting in the dark (not exactly sure why I am in the dark), eating Pringles and drinking my second glass of Kool-Aid. The first was downed in about 30 seconds. :-)

Let's see... updates...

Well, let me start with the fact that I am very glad to be out for summer break; however, I am still kinda waiting for it to begin. This is my third summer as a teacher and I think it is the first where it has taken me so long to get into the summer groove and start relaxing. I am moving classrooms this summer, because our school is building a new addition. I get a new classroom- which is very nice- but I would rather have not had to move everything. There are several teachers moving rooms this summer (almost everyone is going somewhere new). My classroom is currently full of all the belongings of a few teachers, and my own stuff. It is a disaster area in there! Due to the fact that my maternity leave will begin shortly after the beginning of the school year, and the fact that my OCD-self cannot possibly pack the contents of my room without going through EVERYTHING and re-organizing, I have been up there a few times since school has let out. I also went to a two-day workshop last week and have another three-day workshop this coming week. I am hoping after this next week that I can really settle into my summer break.

My last doctor's appointment was May 22nd. Clearly I have been in a huge rush to share with you all! Let me see what I can remember...
The first thing they do is the usual blood pressure and weight check. Oh yeah, now I remember why I wasn't in a hurry to share. My doctor was less than pleased with my weight gain. Although my blood pressure was great- low, just like always- I had apparently gained a bit of weight over those past 4 weeks. I didn't gain 1 pound... and I didn't gain 1 pound. But- If you put those two 1's side by side that would be the magic number! Crazy! I was very surprised- I think the scale was broken!!! I don't think it would have bothered me so much- I swear my body frame carries 11 pounds pretty well if you ask me- except for the fact that the nurse got a bit sarcastic about it and I'll admit I felt very embarrassed. My doctor gave me a very not-so-uplifting speech and by the time I left I was pretty pissed-off!!! I am never one to think highly of my body shape, weight, etc, BUT I really feel that I do not look like I gained 11 pounds. I feel like I have only gained in my stomach during this pregnancy. So far I am not swollen and have not gained in my legs, arms, face, etc. So, I have decided to blow them off and just go with the flow. Supposedly I am supposed to gain an average of 25-35 pounds in my pregnancy and I am still well below that bottom number, so I am just going to keep on keeping on.

Mr. Calum seemed pretty happy during the appointment. I won't have any more ultrasounds during this pregnancy, unless I decide to pay for them or unless there is a problem. So, this appointment just came with another Doppler heartbeat listen. I love those and look forward to them every time I have an appointment. Calum was his usual squirmy self. Every time she got his heartbeat he would move and we would have to search again. His heart rate was 168bpm! I was surprised by that high number. Because he was so active, the nurse asked me if I had stopped for a snack or something on my way in. Seriously?!?! She asked it in a pretty condescending way- after my lovely weight check. I quickly informed her that I had consumed a bottle of water- NOT a milkshake or anything! She quickly replied that a cold beverage can do that to babies sometimes. I did not volunteer the fact that my bottle of water had been sitting on my desk all day at work and was far from cold. I think I just have a little wiggle worm! He has always been very active during my ultrasounds.

My next appointment is the 25th of June. I am curious to see what my weight is then. I think Calum and I just had a growth spurt that month. I don't expect this next weight check to be quite so dramatic. I will also have my glucose test during that appointment. I am really not looking forward to that. I am anticipating that I will fail- I don't think I know a single woman who passed on their first test- and the thought of drinking large quantities of that pure sugar stuff makes me a bit queasy, even now. But, we will see...

Hmmm... what next?

As far as how I am feeling- I am still feeling pretty great! No complaints, just instances here and there. I have been very blessed in this pregnancy. Any pregnancy related symptoms have been mild or just occasional. I have experienced some pretty intense heartburn. I still can't figure out what triggers it. It seems if I eat hot wings I am a-okay, but look out for those sandwiches with absolutely nothing spicy in tow!!! I think my body just picks random times to surprise me. I have also had some fun times with my sciatic nerve. I guess Calum likes to position himself in a certain way that makes my tailbone, rear, and legs pretty unhappy- whether sitting or standing. Lying down usually helps alleviate that, but is rather inconvenient and does not cure- just offers a bit of relief. Again, luckily these times are just occasional, not daily.

My body's thermostat has definitely changed. I have always been an Eskimo- always in need of a blanket, but not anymore! I really like my AC lately. Poor Damon doesn't understand my temperature change. I freeze him on most occasions.

Other than my delicious Kool-Aid (fruit punch, by the way) I have not really craved anything in particular, but I have noticed my usual salty taste buds have decided to change to a sweet tooth. When I get hungry, I usually want cookies or cake or ice cream, etc- BUT I "always" deny that, at least until I have had something substantial first. Usually...

I have been working on my baby registries. I never realized how much time it would take. Baby registries are not like wedding registries. A lot of research goes into picking items- at least if you are me... and only slightly controlling and OCD about...everything. ;-)
I think I finally finished those today. I have showers coming up in mid-July. I am very excited about all the baby stuff! I don't have anything for his nursery. I think if our house were finished it would be a different story, but I have nowhere to store things right now, so it will just all have to come together in my 8th/9th month.

I have visited two new babies this past week or so. Miss Camryn Elizabeth was born on my birthday! How very special! She picked a good day. I kept telling Vicky all through her pregnancy that May 29th was a fabulous day! She was supposed to be induced a few days later, but I guess Miss Camryn was ready to greet her family and friends! Miss Greta Elizabeth was born two days after Camryn, and I got to go visit her and her mommy, Brooke. Brooke and I worked together during my first year teaching. I don't see her nearly enough, but I always enjoy catching up with her. Miss Greta is just gorgeous- looking very much like her older sister, Ava.

Visiting these babies in the hospital make me think about Calum. I can't wait to meet him and for all of our family and friends to come meet him too! My third trimester starts tomorrow- or I guess today, since it is after midnight! I can't believe it! Where did my second trimester go? It is exciting, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that, at times, it also makes me feel slightly nervous, at the thought that there isn't another trimester to go- just BABY!!! I wonder what he will look like...

Our house is... hardly changing. It has been a while since I have posted about it, so I am sure it will have changed for y'all, but it has hardly changed over the past three weeks. The outside is completely finished, but the inside has hardly moved. They have the primer on the walls, and they just painted the ceilings today. They laid the tile in the bathrooms and laundry this week- BUT I am pretty sure one of the bathrooms has the wrong tile in it. I am waiting to hear back from that. The cabinets still have not arrived, although I have been hearing about them for three weeks. Hopefully this will be the week they appear! I will definitely post pictures later. As far as I know we are still on schedule to be finished mid-July and moving in at the end of July.

I hope you have enjoyed my post of random updates. Sorry there are no pictures, but at least I updated, right? I guess, now that it is 1:00 a.m., I will head back to bed. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment